Wednesday, April 27, 2005

RFID: UHF - Big Brother's Big Brother

If you haven't yet set a place at your mental table for track and trace technology, that's OK. You're going to need a whole separate table.

The EPC Global Community's latest RFID evolution is the UHF RFID tag. Meet Generation 2.

RFID's new fair-haired boy is bigger and faster than the now-familiar HF RFID technology (which is bigger and faster than the original LF RFID).

Generation 2 UHF tags offer data read rates of up to 640 kbits and 256 bit EPCs (Electronic Product Codes). Compare that to traditional HF tags with max read rates of 149 kbits and 96 bit EPC, and you may understand why some industries (including retail, pharmaceutical, Department of Defense, Homeland Security) are excited about UHF RFID.

And if you do understand, can you explain it to me? I'm not convinced that my grocery store or my pharmacy or my local schools need track and trace technology at all. I'm certainly not convinced that they need turbo track and trace.

Wal-Mart representatives repeatedly and publicly insist that the retail giant is going to use RFID simply to streamline inventory and supply chain operations.

No one needs a 256 bit EPC to do that.

Sally Bacchetta - Freelance Writer

4 Comments:

At 3:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, I can't wait unitl I have one of these implanted in me. It will be so neat to use it to automatically control everything in my life.

 
At 12:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, I can't wait until I'm forced to have one of these implanted in me. It will be so neat to have everything in my life automatically controlled.

 
At 3:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The RFID Gazette has a privacy article - RFID Privacy Issues.

 
At 9:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

RFID intrusive technology is at the threshold
If you want to know all there is about RFID tagging? Go to Zombiewire and see for your self. At Zombiewire there are only RFID facts. Let me tell you that RFID will ten fold by the year 2008. There are about 20% of people who even know that this intrusive technology is at the threshold. There is a reason for that. The players ( rfid investor ) need to build the complete infrastructure first then inform you. They have stated that the consumer will first be enraged but as everything will conform. The privacy issues are not only about disclosing your information to the public but having a tracking system coincide. Eventually your pants, shirt, undies, shoes, beer, will all have tracking devices implanted in the product. It is important to understand what RFID is and WiFi because they are embedded now.
Great work Sally! www.zombiewire.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home